Global Week of Action to #EndTaxHavens!
The growing number of recent tax haven exposés – including the Panama Papers, LuxLeaks, Swiss Leaks and Bahamas Leaks – have brought to the fore the human costs of global tax avoidance and evasion. Timed to coincide with the one year anniversary of the publication of the Panama Papers, this Global Week of Action to #EndTaxHavens, 1-7 April 2017 is designed to encourage and promote diverse activities across our tax justice communities to increase public pressure on governments around the world to end the damaging practice of tax havens.
Please join Global Alliance for Tax Justice members and our partners. Together we’re building public and political momentum globally to ensure our governments heed our advocacy demands to:
- End tax havens
- Make multinational corporations and the wealthy pay their share
- Require public country-by-country reporting for all multinational corporations
- Establish an inclusive intergovernmental UN Global Tax Body, where all countries have an equal say in setting international tax policies
- Implement progressive tax policies
- Use tax revenues to fund the public services and social protections that are the means to ending poverty and inequality
- Protect whistleblowers
1. PLAN YOUR ACTION
- Start planning your creative actions now for the Global Week of Action to #EndTaxHavens, 1-7 April 2017. See CAMPAIGN RESOURCES below.
- Join with tax justice, trade union, faith and other civil society groups in your country to understand the issues and plan joint work together.
- Plan now to write and place an opinion editorial in your major national newspaper, on the occasion of the one year anniversary of the Panama Papers publication. Reflect on what your government has/has not done to end tax havens and tax avoidance/evasion by multinationals and the very rich, and reference some of our common advocacy demands. Together we can make headlines around the world during this week of action.
- Send letters and ask to meet directly with your national government and UN representatives to explain why it’s time to #EndTaxHavens.
- Campaign targets may include multinational corporations, banks, tax avoidance enablers (lawyers, accounting firms) and governments.
- National-level actions can include holding town hall hearings, public street events, media briefings, community film screenings, presenting advocacy letters or petitions to government leaders and UN representatives, and participating in the Multinationals, pay your share! and #EndTaxHavens photo petitions.
- Promote the campaign through social media @GA4TJ: #EndTaxHavens | #TaxJustice| #GlobalTaxBody
- Let us know what you’re doing! We’ll promote your activities and suggest connections to build impact. Please fill out this SUBMIT EVENT form found at bottom of the Calendar page.
- And please send your event details, news, photos, videos, and social media links to Marie, Teresa (GATJ), or Olivia (ActionAid).
2. KEY DATES
- 17-18 March 2017 - G20 Finance Ministers meeting, Germany -
- Sat. 1 April 2017 - April Fool’s Day and official launch day for the Global Week of Action to #EndTaxHavens
- Sat. 15 April is marked as Tax Day In countries such as the USA; related activities will also be promoted.
- See the Global Campaign Map for more actions!
3. CAMPAIGN RESOURCES
Action ideas Send a letter or set up a meeting with your government representative, hold creative public actions, photo stunts, flash mobs, public talks, film screenings, information leafleting, social media photo petition etc.
Background resources GATJ Resources page* > search by Issue tags such as ‘Tax havens’, Tax evasion’, ‘Enablers’
Fact sheets Why we need a Global Tax Body
Hashtags to use #TaxJustice | #IWD2017 | #womensrights | #UNCSW17
Graphics Coming soon - Social media photo petition templates (various languages) & downloadable banners for printing
*Check this section regularly as more tools & resources are added
4. PROJECTED OUTCOMES
- A series of coordinated creative public actions that raise popular awareness of the damaging effects of tax havens, and increase pressure on governments to end tax havens and to ensure that multinationals and the wealthy pay their share of taxes to fund the vital public services such as healthcare, education and water that our families need.
- Actions that highlight the urgent need for public country-by-country reporting for all multinational corporations.
- Actions to advance the demand for an inclusive intergovernmental UN Global Tax Body.
- National, regional and global tax justice coalition movement building.
- Escalating attention to the issues building on the #TaxJustice for Women’s Rights Global Days of Action, 8-24 March 2017.
5. ORGANIZING TEAM
The initiative to hold a global day or week of action to end tax havens was proposed by Attac chapters from around the world and endorsed by participants in the 2016 World Social Forum convergence assembly, co-chaired by the Global Alliance for Tax Justice. This Global Week of Action to #EndTaxHavens is endorsed by the GATJ Coordination Committee of regional members, and Campaign & Policy Committee, and co-organized through the GATJ Global Action working group.