Tax Justice Network’s August 2017 podcast is out!
In the August 2017 Taxcast: #10yearsafter the crash we ask – what will the next one look like? Can we avoid it? Also:
- Panama Papers fallout – another Prime Minister bites the dust, this time in Pakistan
- the offshore law firm Mossack Fonseca has closed 39 of its 45 offices around the world
- a UK court ruling spells the end for ‘employee benefit trusts’ being used by footballers to minimise their tax bills
- and Bank Of England Governor has predicted Britain’s financial sector could double in size in the next 25 years. Has he not heard of the finance curse?
“if the crisis has taught us anything then it is that there is an inherent instability in the financial system that we can’t really get rid of, so what we really have to do is make sure that the damage that the debt financial system can do to the rest of us is limited.”
Professor of Political Arithmetic, Daniel Mügge
“We’ve taken on the whole story narrative of mainstream economics, it has actually gone out and taken over the way the world is seen and people have become totally used to it, it is just the way we think. And we have to realise how it is constraining our thinking.”
Henry Leveson-Gower, Promoting Economic Pluralism
You can download and listen to this month’s Taxcast anytime by right clicking ‘save link’ here.
- Professor of Political Arithmetic at the University of Amsterdam, Daniel Mügge.
- Henry Leveson-Gower of Promoting Economic Pluralism
- John Christensen of the Tax Justice Network.
Remember the Tax Justice Network and Tax Justice UK is hosting two #10yearsafter the crash events in London: the first is a free panel discussion on 14th September but you need to register your place: How Can we Avoid Another Crisis? The second is a screening of The Spider’s Web: Britain’s Second Empire, followed by a panel discussion – tickets for that event are selling fast.
Produced and presented by the Tax Justice Network’s Naomi Fowler.
Want more Taxcasts? The full playlist is here.